EXCEL PERFORMING ARTS (“The Company”)
‘Excel Performing Arts’ is the trading name of partnership between Samantha Payton and Steven Houghton
PRIVACY NOTICE FOR STUDENTS AND PARENTS
EXCEL PERFORMING ARTS PRIVACY NOTICE
What is the purpose of this document?
The Company is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information.
This Privacy Notice describes how we collect and use personal information about our students. It provides you with certain information that must be provided under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
This Privacy Notice is relevant to you if you are a prospective, current or former student of our performing arts school or if you are a parent of one or more of our students.
We may from time to time collect personal information from our students and parents. This document is intended to tell you what we do with that personal information.
The Company is a “data controller”. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal information about our students and parents.
The Company’s contact details are:
Excel Performing Arts, R/O Pendragon House, 65 London Road, St Albans, Hertfordshire, AL1 1LJ.
Telephone: Samantha Payton – Partner on 07866 274703.
We are registered with the Information Commissioner and our registration reference is: ZA508271.
Data protection principles
We will comply with data protection law. This says that the personal information we hold about you must be:
- Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way
- Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes
- Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes
- Accurate and kept up to date
- Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about
- Kept securely
The kind of information we hold about you
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
We will collect, store, and use the following categories of personal information about our students and/or parents of our students:
- A student’s name and (if under 18) the name of his/her parent or carer;
- A student’s date of birth;
- A student’s/parent’s/carer’s address;
- A student and/or a parent’s mobile telephone number (we will only obtain the mobile number of students 13 years with the parent’s permission);
- A student’s home address;
- An emergency contact number and next of kin details;
- A student/parent/carer’s email address;
- Details of any medical conditions/allergies affecting the student that we may need to be aware of to satisfy our duty of care to the student and to ensure they are safe;
- CCTV images should you visit us – this is operated by the school whose premises we occupy;
- Photographs and video images of the student whilst performing for our school (this will include photographs in class, backstage, at events which we use for our website and social media posts and marketing our business);
- Attendance records of the student’s attendances at our school;
- Performance data regarding the student’s progress whilst at our school;
- Details of performances undertaken by the student whilst at our school;
- Health and sickness data as relevant to assess the student’s fitness and capacity;
- Equality and diversity data for the purposes of equal opportunities monitoring and reporting;
- Bank details (when relevant) of our students or parents for the purposes of paying our fees;
- Payment history;
- Any other personal information that is relevant to enable us to teach and care for the student whilst in attendance at our school.
How is your personal information collected?
We will normally collect information about you from our day-to-day dealings and communications with you. Any personal information collected will generally only relate to you as a student or parent of a student of our school.
How we will use information about you
We will only use your personal information we collect about you to contact you in accordance with our legitimate interests as a business and to perform any contract we may have with you or otherwise to comply with our legal obligations. We may need to use your personal information to defend or bring legal proceedings. We will also use your personal information to keep a record of our communications (by telephone, email or face-to-face) as part of our legitimate interests. In some circumstances we may need to use your personal information to protect the vital interests of a student (in emergency circumstances).
If you fail to provide personal information
If you fail to provide information when requested, we may not be able to communicate with you or permit you or your child to be a student of our school.
You will not be subject to any automated decision-making.
We may have to share your data with third parties. We will only do so if this is part of our legitimate interests, if requested by you, or if required as part of defending or pursuing legal proceedings, or if required by law.
We require third parties to respect the security of your data and to treat it in accordance with the law.
The list below are regular third parties to Excel whom we may share your data with:
- International Dance Teachers Assiociation (IDTA) – For the purpose of offering your child a dance exam
- Hertfordshire County Council – For the purpose of gaining a BOP licence which we need in order to offer our students the opportunity to perform in a show
- Aderain Services – For the purpose of designing and updating the Excel website
- Bluelight Office Supplies – For the purpose of printing the show programme
- Gilberts Accountants – For the purpose of our legal tax obligation
- Carmel Jane Photography – for the purpose of taking professional photographs for sale to students/parents and for use on our website and other marketing materials
- Wizard Video Productions Ltd – for the purpose of filming our annual show
- Freelance Teachers – for the purpose of teaching and covering Excel classes
- Class Manager – Cloud base password protected administration software program to be able to
invoice customers, group communication, store registers and student information
- This list will be added to on an ongoing basis.
We have put in place measures to protect the security of your information.
Third parties will only process your personal information on our instructions and where they have agreed to treat the information confidentially and to keep it secure.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal information on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.
How long will you use my information for?
We will only keep your personal information for as long as is necessary for the purposes for which we have collected it. We operate a Data Retention Policy and Schedule that sets out the criteria we consider when retaining personal data. The criteria will vary dependant on the information we keep but will generally (without limitation) be retained on the following criteria:
- How long we need to keep such information for the purposes of our legitimate interests and/or for the purposes of performing any contract with you
- Any limitation periods existing for pursuing any claims against us or in respect of claims we may need to bring
- Any periods otherwise prescribed by law
Your individual rights
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected
- Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below)
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal information to another party
If you want to review, verify, correct or request erasure of your personal information, object to the processing of your personal data, or request that we transfer a copy of your personal information to another party, please contact Samantha Payton in writing at the above address or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
No fee usually required
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal information (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request for access is clearly unfounded or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with the request in such circumstances.
What we may need from you
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access the information (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is another appropriate security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it.
Person responsible for data protection in the Company
We have appointed Samantha Payton, Director to oversee compliance with this Privacy Notice. If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice or how we handle your personal information, please contact Samantha Payton using the contact details above. You also have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues.
Changes to this privacy notice
We reserve the right to update this privacy notice at any time, and we will provide you with a new privacy notice when we make any substantial updates. We may also notify you in other ways from time to time about the processing of your personal information.
Excel Performing Arts is a partnership between Samantha Payton and Steven Houghton
If you have any questions about this privacy notice, please contact Samantha Payton.